Tomato & Basil Lentil Chips
- 1 cup / 140g Red split lentils
- 4 tbsp Tomato puree
- 1 slice Onion
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 tsp Smoked paprika
- ½ tsp Turmeric
- ½ tsp Cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp Apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp Maple syrup
- pinch of Salt and Pepper
- ¾ cup / 180ml Water
- 1 tbsp dried Basil
- Soak the lentils in salted water for at least an hour, overnight is best.
- Drain and rinse the lentils then add to a blender with everything else apart from the basil.
- Blend until smooth then stir in the basil.
- Pour onto a grease-proof paper lined baking dish and spread to the sides.
- If you have a dish that fills a normal oven then this will make one batch, for a half size mini oven as I use in the video it makes two batches.
- Bake at 190C / 375F for 30 mins.
- Remove the lentil chips from the oven and let stand for 10 mins.
- Peel off the greaseproof paper and cut chips into long strips, then into triangles. One batch makes about 50 protein chips.
- Place lentil chips directly on an oven wire rack then bake for another 5-15 mins at 170C / 340F until dry and remove from oven before the sides catch.
- Remove the chips from the oven when the edges are golden.
- Enjoy as soon as lentil chips are out of the oven, or keep chilled in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- On the second bake, you do need to watch the lentil chips carefully as the edges can catch easily.
- Take lentil chips out of the oven just as you see the edges go golden.