Pappy’s Small Red Beans
- 1 pound Pappy’s Small Red Beans
- 8-10 cups water or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup cooked, diced bacon and/or ham (optional)
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Hot cooked rice
1 hour, 50 minutes
1 hour, 40 minutes
- Rinse and sort beans; soak if desired (soaking Small Red Beans is optional)
- In a Dutch oven or soup pot, add water, beans and salt.
- Over high heat, bring to a boil for 10 minutes.
- Reduce to low heat and simmer; add garlic, onion and bacon and/or ham (if desired).
- Cook at a simmer, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Add water if needed; liquid level should be at least 1/2 inch above beans while cooking.
- Serve with hot cooked rice.