Chorizo Andouille Beans
(Pinto and Fremont beans)
By Pearl and Brett Worden
- 3 cups pinto beans
- 1 ½ cups Fremont beans
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 3-4 cloves minced garlic
- 8oz ground chorizo
- 12 oz Andouille Sausage
- 1-2 Tablespoons Chicken Bouillon
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
Spices to taste:
- Salt & pepper
Sort, rinse, and soak beans overnight (Fremont Beans will float).
- The next morning drain and rinse beans, dump beans in crockpot.
- Add water to beans in crockpot until water is 1 inch above beans, add chicken bouillon.
- Next, place chorizo in medium frying pan cook until brown. While chorizo is browning, slice Andouille, chop onions and mince garlic.
- Add chorizo, andouille, onions and garlic to beans.
- Add your spices, bay leaves, cumin, oregano, salt and Pepper.
- Add water to achieve preferred consistency.
- Cook on low until beans are tender, 4-6 hours.
- Add maple syrup.
- At this time, add more spices to taste.
- Serve right away or set crock pot to keep warm while you wait until your husband finally gets home.