Spicy and Smoky Southern Black Eyed Peas
- 6 cups of chicken stock or broth
- 2 pounds of smoked turkey wings (I used two drumsticks)
- 1 pound of black eyed peas
- 1/2 cup diced (finely chopped) white onion
- 4 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- Kosher Salt
- First rinse your peas and remove any dirt pieces from your beans.
- Next, soak the peas before cooking.
- To soak your peas overnight: Place the peas in a large bowl of water, cover, and place in refrigerator. Let the peas soak for at least 8 hours.
- For a quick soak method for the peas: Place the peas in a large pot of hot water. Boil the peas in the hot water for 2 minutes, remove from heat, cover the pot with a lid, and the the pot sit covered for an hour, then rinse and drain the peas.
- When ready to cook the peas, place the chicken stock and smoked turkey legs into a large pot. Boil the turkey legs or wings for 30 minutes in broth.
- Then add the beans, onion, garlic, cayenne pepper, black pepper, and liquid smoke to the pot of chicken stock and stir the ingredients together. Salt to taste.
- Bring the ingredients to a boil.
- Once the ingredients come to a boil, lower the cooking temperature to low.
- Cook the beans for 2 and half to 3 hours or until beans have become tender.
- Remove the meat from the turkey wings/legs. Discard of the bones. Add the meat back into the pot of peas. (Most of the meat should pull away from the bone while cooking.)