Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup
- 16 oz dried split peas (about 2 cups)
- 1 1/2 lb ham bone
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 shallot, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups low sodium chicken stock
- In the bowl of a slow cooker, combine the split peas, carrots, yellow onion, shallot, celery, garlic, thyme, pepper, bay leaf, and chicken stock. Mix well.
- Add the ham bone on top and nestle into the contents of the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on Low for 5-6 hours, or until ham is tender and easily pulls off the bone.
- Remove the ham and shred into bite-size pieces using two forks, then return the ham meat to the slow cooker, and discard the bone.
- Remove the bay leaf and serve.